Everything starts with a word. Daugirdas is a Lithuanian name, meaning “hears-a-lot”. The building of our hotel has seen and heard a lot, since the history of the building starts in the XVI century, when Kaunas was being created by the most famous Italian architects.
The old building is comprised of 4 parts that were built before the XVIII century. The building was damaged during the Swedish war and disused for 80 years. It was rebuilt in the XIX century, the interior part of the building was added on, as were the garrets in the XX century.
Nowadays the hotel complex is comprised of two buildings connected by glass roof – the original authentic building of XVI-XIX century and the new building, architecturally and aesthetically coordinated with the old building. Architect Asta Prokockienė received the “Kaunas Knight” award for the architectural solution.
Kaunas old town
Hotel “Daugirdas” is located at the heart of Kaunas old town, on the corner of Daugirdo Street and Jėzuitų Alley, at the confluence of the two biggest Lithuanian rivers. Most of the place of interest and famous historical monuments are nearby. City symbol – the town hall square, Gothic monument Perkūno Namas, Church of Vytautas the Great, Kaunas Castle, museums, city centre with the famous Laisvės Avenue – everything within a walking distance.
A lot of distinguished Lithuanian lived in this building. Stasys Šilingas, chairman of the national council, minister of justice, Siberian exile, lived here from 1919 to 1945. Famous members of the public and cultural workers – Jonas Garalevičius, Paulius Galaunė, Vladas Putvinskis, Juozas Tallat-Kelpša.
We initiated the commemorative plaque for them to be unveiled.
The waiting room near the reception on the ground floor is reminiscent of a city street with street lights and a restaurant. There was a street in this place in the XVII century, therefore, we wished recreate that impression. Local businesspeople take their daily meetings here, while the foreign guests also conduct their business, drinking coffee, reading.
Here you will find a stand with maps of Kaunas and various publication on places of interest.
There are four restaurant halls in the XVI century Gothic cellar – Fireplace, Flambé, Wine Hall with a quality wine collection and the Pillar Hall that can be easily transformed from a conference hall to a banquet hall.
The cellar contains two conference halls: the large Pillar Hall that can accommodate up to 100 people seated theatre style and Flambé Hall for up to 30 people. Conferences, events, presentations and festivities take place in these halls.
- For your convenience we have a beauty parlour – “Old Town Barbers”, that provides necessary services to men: beard trimming and haircuts.
Hotel “Daugirdas” is located at the heart of Kaunas old town, on the corner of Daugirdo Street and Jėzuitų Alley, at the confluence of the two biggest Lithuanian rivers. Most of the place of interest and famous historical monuments are nearby.Ask a question
Get the latest news and the best